SELL YOUR JEWELRY SAFELY ONLINE FROM HOME
At Divorce Your Ring when you sell jewelry on consignment we offer you a method of earning a greater return than the “highest market value” on you diamonds, jewelry and precious metals. Turn unworn jewelry into cash, or sell used jewelry you no longer love securely online in our consignment store.
- Where can you sell your jewelry
- Benefits of selling jewelry with Divorce Your Ring
- How to sell jewelry online with Divorce Your Ring
- Accepted jewelry items
- How to get a fair price for your jewelry
- What factors affect jewelry value
- Data on jewelry auctions in the U.S.
WHERE CAN YOU SELL YOUR JEWELRY?
It is very difficult to find a jewelry store that will offer you a fair price for your jewelry. Consequently at Divorce Your Ring we ask that you shop around first before coming to see us. You will be pleasantly surprised. Most jewelry store chains will not buy back the diamonds and jewelry that they sold you because it would reveal their very high markup. At Divorce Your Ring we offer you the best of both worlds. Firstly meeting us in person to see that you have been offered a much better solution for selling your diamonds and jewelry. Secondly, we do all the hard work by selling your diamonds and jewelry online for just 15% as and when it sells. There are no upfront costs, holding costs, or fees.
- Local jewelry stores – Overheads and diamonds changing hands at least 5 times from the mine to the retail store causes retail jewelry store prices to be rather high. Their price does not reflect the true value of the diamond. Therefore, jewelers are not normally willing to buy back jewelry at the original sale price, meaning there is no competitive market.
- Consignment shops – While consignment shops are easy to find, they have a few downsides. For one, you will often need to pay a high consignment rate (sometimes up to 50%). Selling through consignment can often take a long time and you’ll need to check the shop’s reputation to make sure you’re choosing a trustDivorce Your Ring option.
- Pawn shops – If you are looking for quick cash, a pawn shop can be a good option but don’t expect high returns and, as with consignment shops, a pawn shop is not always a safe haven for valuable jewelry.
- ebay – ebay may seem tempting as you can easily sell your item from the comfort of your home. However, ebay has an average of one million jewelry items on sale at any given time and without any sort of expert overseeing the process, you are not likely to get the true value of your item. On top of that, selling through ebay puts you at risk to scams.
- Divorce Your Ring – At Divorce Your Ring, we have developed a way to sell your jewelry that ticks all the boxes. By only selling to qualified buyers, we ensure you get the best value for your item. The entire process can be completed from your home. The process is quick, with items selling within an average of 10-14 business days, after which your money is delivered quickly to you. And most importantly, your item is kept safe and secure the entire time.
Divorce Your Ring offers a good price for diamonds over 1.0 carat if we are in need of that shape. Our preferred method
THE BENEFITS OF SELLING JEWELRY WITH DIVORCE YOUR RING
Here at Divorce Your Ring we understand that jewelry can hold sentimental value. That’s why, when you make the decision to sell your jewelry, we want you to know that it is in the very best hands. Our mission is to help our clients sell their jewelry the smart way, by offering a secure, streamlined process that allows them to get the highest market price for their items at auction.
How We Can Help:
- Up to $100,000 in insurance coverage from the moment your item leaves your home until it arrives at our offices. When you submit your jewelry, you will immediately receive a prepaid, fully insured shipping label, covering up to $100,000 by reputable insurance providers.
Luxury Item Protection
Divorce Your Ring provides up to $100,000 in insurance coverage for every shipment. We trust Lloyd’s of London, a global leader in insurance since 1688, to protect all valuables auctioned on our platform.
Click here for more about our item protection policy
- Complimentary diamond grading. We only trust the best gemological labs in the world to grade your valuable. We take care of cleaning and photographing your items, and have all diamonds graded at leading gemological labs such as GIA.
100% Seller Protection
We only trust the best diamond grading lab in the world, GIA, to grade valuables prior to auction. Diamonds sold with GIA grading reports are considered more valuable and can command higher prices.
More About Our Seller Protection Policy.
- Professional Buyers Platform. Get access to our nationwide network of vetted, professional jewelry buyers.
- Hassle-free process, no need to go looking for the right buyer. We take care of grading, cleaning and photography, and attracting a worldwide network of professional buyers. All you have to do is schedule a FedEx pickup and we’ll take care of the rest.
LATEST SUCCESS STORIES
See what sellers on our marketplace have to say:
- Dedicated account manager. Your account manager will walk you through the process step by step and keep you updated at every turn. You’ll know exactly where you jewelry is at any given time.
We are proud of the high level of personal service and expertise that we offer. It’s one of the many things that sets Divorce Your Ring apart from the rest. You can check out our A+ BBB rating any time here.
100% Seller Protection
Consumer confidence is of utmost importance to us here at Divorce Your Ring. That is why, one of our first steps was to be accredited and graded by the BBB. Like them, we uphold the value in transparency, honesty, and legitimate business practices.
More About Our Seller Protection Policy.
HOW TO SELL ONLINE WITH DIVORCE YOUR RING
- Free Secure Pickup – Describe your valuable and schedule a secure shipment. Your item will be shipped to our offices via FedEx and is insured for up to $100,000 by Lloyds of London.
- We Do All The Work – Once your item arrives at our offices, it is screened and put into our secure tracking system.
- We get your valuable ready for auction by carefully cleaning it and having beauty shots taken by professional photographers.
- Then it’s off to be graded by an industry-leading diamond lab like GIA, GSI, or IGI. Watches are inspected by Central Watch in NYC.
- Now it’s time to create an auction listing, complete with the lab grading and beauty shot.
- Set your reserve price, either by using our recommended price guarantee or setting a manual reserve price.
- Start your auction!
- Get paid – As offers from vetted professionals come in, you decide what offer to choose. Once the auction has concluded, you will receive the final sale amount minus our commission. Choose a payment method and get paid fast.
HOW TO GET A FAIR PRICE FOR YOUR JEWELRY
The immediate benefit of selling jewelry online is plain and simple – more offers. When working with a single jewelry buyer, the value of your jewelry is up to them at any given time. When there are multiple jewelry buyers, the true market value of your jewelry can be more easily and accurately determined. From a larger pool of demand comes a greater likelihood that a fair, even competitive offer will be made.
Another way to ensure you are getting a fair price for your jewelry is to know exactly what you have. As the attributes of fine jewelry can’t be determined with the naked eye, a diamond grading report from a trusted lab and an expert evaluation are a must-have when looking to sell your jewelry.
Diamond Jewelry Grading Report
While you may have received a grading report with your diamond jewelry, know that many stores have their in-house gemologists who make the report, rather than third-party, objective experts. The most reliable diamond grading reports come from the GIA, or gemological institute of America. The benefits of a GIA grading report are:
- GIA, a nonprofit organization, is a public benefit research and educational institution and acts as an independent and impartial entity for evaluating the quality of diamonds and gems.
- The grading reports issued by GIA are recognized as the most respected and impartial reporting in the diamond industry.
- A GIA report isn’t an appraisal of financial value; rather it is an assurance of the diamond’s quality, with clear disclosure if the material is natural, synthetic or treated to enhance or alter its appearance.
To sum up, the two main steps to get a fair price for your jewelry are:
- To know exactly what you have, by having your jewelry professionally evaluated and graded.
- To have multiple buyers compete for your item, which results in true market value.
WHAT FACTORS AFFECT JEWELRY VALUE?
Before purchasing a diamond or diamond jewelry, many shoppers do a deep dive into what makes diamonds so expensive. So too should a person selling jewelry know what factors affect the value of their item. Here are the five biggest factors diamond and jewelry buyers look for when analyzing a piece.
- The 4Cs
- Carat Weight – The unit of measurement for a diamond’s weight is a carat (200 mg) and the weight of a diamond directly affects its, with heavier, larger diamonds being more expensive.
- Color Grade – Diamond color is graded on a scale from D to Z, which D being the most colorless and the most desirable. The further down the alphabet, the more color is included in the diamond and, most often, the lesser the value.
- Clarity Grade – While color and size are in some cases visible to the naked eye, clarity is less so. Diamond clarity refers to flaws, both internal and external, within the diamond. The more flawless a diamond, the more expensive it is. Clarity is graded on a scale beginning with Flawless, Internally Flawless, VVS1 or VVS2 (Very Very Slightly Included), VS1 or VS2 (Very Slightly Included), SI1 or SI2 (Slightly Included), and I1, I2 or I3 (Included).
- Cut Grade – Only the eye of an expert can really determine a stone’s cut grade. Cut grade refers to how well the raw diamond was cut to give you the final product you have now. The scale ranges from Excellent to Poor (with Very Good, Good, and Fair in between) and is based on a range of factors like polish, symmetry, weight, durability, and scintillation.
- The 4Cs
While you will often see pre-owned diamond jewelry for sale, rarely will you find jewelry from famous brands such as Tiffany & Co., Cartier, Graff, Buccellati or Chopard. So when items from recognized brands do come up for sale, they can often fetch much higher prices than similar items without the brand name. There are two main reasons for this, the first being that brands like Van Cleef & Arpels or Louis Vuitton have maintained there popularity for more than a century, setting the standard for excellence and quality in jewelry. That standard of excellence extends to the diamonds themselves, which are always of exceptional quality.
When it comes to jewelry, just like high fashion, rare cuts, colors, or designs can often attract high prices. However, if a specific style is on trend, demand will be high. There is also something to be said for classic pieces, such as a round brilliant cut diamond, which will always sell and, depending on the quality of the diamond, sometimes for a very high price.
If your item has marks and scratches on it, you may want to consider having it cleaned and polished in order to be more attractive to potential buyers. Much like buying a home, if a buyer sees flaws like leaks or cracks, they may be too distracted to consider the true worth of the home.
For some jewelry, the older the better. However, it’s important to distinguish between two terms here: vintage jewelry is anything more than 20-30 years old while antique is anything over 100 years old. Sometimes jewelry will be made in an antique or vintage style but the piece itself is new.
ACCEPTED JEWELRY BY DIVORCE YOUR RING
What is hot in the market right now, what we recommend you to sell:
- Diamond jewelry containing diamonds that are worth over .5 carats
- Loose diamonds of over 0.5 carats
- Luxury watches
INSIGHTS ON JEWELRY AUCTIONS IN THE U.S.
The large amounts of jewelry coming through our offices and being sold through our online auction platform give us a unique insight into trends in pre-owned jewelry sales in the US today. Selling jewelry is becoming more and more popular as people look for new and creative ways to generate income and as people of all ages look to downsize, either for financial reasons or simply for lifestyle.
- Rings. The bulk of pieces sold through Divorce Your Ring in 2018 were rings, with 47% of rings sold being bridal sets, 28% solitaire, and 7% three stone rings.
- Diamonds. Of diamonds overall, 50% were round cut, 20% were princess, and 7% were marquise. When it comes to diamond size, while almost 60% of diamonds sold were under a carat, 34% were between 1-2 carats.
- Branded Jewelry. When it comes to branded jewelry, Tiffany & Co. made up 75% of all branded jewelry auctions followed by Tacori at 12%.
- Earrings. The top earring styles sold on Divorce Your Ring were studs (74%), drop earrings (10%), and hoops (7%).
- Necklaces. Popular necklace styles were pendants (80%), chains (5%), and collars (4%).
- Bracelets. When it came to bracelet styles, tennis bracelets made up half of all bracelets sold (51%), with link (28%) and bangle (12%) coming in at second and third.